Visiting a Hospital in Hanoi, Vietnam


So my blog has been extremely quite lately, due to an unfortunate visit to a local hospital. Wait WHAT???

So lets start from the beginning. On a lovely Sunday morning, the day after my birthday, I was on my way home on the back of an Uber Moto(scooter taxi). A garbage truck decided to over take us, because there are no rules in Vietnamese traffic, and I landed up lying in the middle of the street. So I checked I was okay and everything seemed lovely until I got to my right thigh. Turns out a metal piece on the truck had cut my thigh right through to the muscle and I could see the inside of my leg. Thank goodness I had so many amazing angels around me and I managed to get to a hospital.

As we drove into the hospital I freaked out because it is very different from what I am used to back in South Africa. The emergency room was tiny and I had a million Vietnamese doctors and nurses trying to help me, however I had no idea what they were trying to say. The language barrier continued to be the most difficult part of my stay. They looked at my wound and proceeded to do all the necessary checks. I received an injection which I still am not certain of its contents. I finally managed to understand the severity of the injury and I had to go into surgery. I did not know what to expect because I have never been to hospital before ,let alone a hospital in an Asian country. Although the surrounding were very different to what I assume as 'the norm', the hospital was extremely clean and the care seemed to be very good. The nurses checked up on me daily and most tried their best to help me understand. The care I received was excellent. 

My one friend came to visit me and she reminded me of something. We put so much value in the aesthetics of a place and tend not to look beyond it. The look of it is most definitely not the true reflection of the care you receive.

I have since been back in South Africa and seem to be healing well. I will return in December to carry on my Vietnamese adventure.

Lots of Love

The Purple Gypsy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typo Lenses